Llangennech Rugby Football Club was established in 1885, where enthusiasm for the game had spread across local villages after Llanelli had won the South Wales trophy.
It was reported in the Guardian on the fourth of December 1885 that:
"Rugby Football is spreading fast in the Llanelly District. Reports reach us of new clubs being formed at Loughor, Llangennech and Kidwelly..."
Llangennech's first game was against Llanelli Harriers where we lost by a margin of four touchdowns to one touchdown. With ourselves, the first District League included Llanelly Seconds, Harriers, Morfa Rangers, Old Castle Rovers, Felinfoel, Kidwelly, and Gower Road. It is even noted that our first ever jersey colour was Scarlet!
Since then Llan has had a side that competed in the beautiful game of rugby, and played in every rugby season since 1885, with only the two World wars breaking the run of seasons.
The main playing ground, in Pontardulais Road, Llangennech, was purchased from a local farmer in 1958. The ground has been improved every year with club funds. Training lights were erected in 1984 and new changing rooms built in 1992.
Although Llan were a well-established team since 1885, a clubhouse wasn't built until nearly a century later. In 1969 the Rugby Club entered a joint venture with the Cricket Club when they purchased the Old Engine Inn, and built a social club on its site in Bank Road.
Aware of the need to maintain all the playing membership within the club, the local Community Council was approached for the use of their recreational ground within the village (Llangennech Park). This field is now used, as well as the main playing field, on Saturday and Sunday afternoon's and for midweek training sessions. Training lights were installed on this playing field in 2000.
There are currently two senior teams, the First XV play in the WRU National League Division 1 West and the Development XV play in the very competitive Swansea District League A. In all there are over 150 registered junior players, 30+ youth and 60+ senior players. Along with vice-presidents, patrons, members, officers and committee, the total club membership is over to 400.
Please wait as the server processes your request. Do not attempt to refresh the page.